Wednesday 7 November 2012

{Sew Seasonal Blog Hop} Paper Pieced Snowman Decoration

Kristy at Quiet Play and Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts (both fellow Aussies, so naturally they both awesome people ;o) ) have organised a blog hop that's been going since the 1st of November, and runs through until the 13th November.


Sew Seasonal Blog Hop

I chose to make the Snowman - the 5" version, and I turned it into a very simple decoration (and I plan to do more - or perhaps make some bunting - they're fun to make!). The pattern worked out really well - I was a bit dubious about the tiny size of some of the pieces, but it actually came together really easily. 

I actually don't own any Christmas fabric. At. All. Even so, I think the pearl bracelet background kind of looks like snow (not deliberate either - I didn't think of it until I saw these photos...) and he's vaguely Christmassy? 

I made my block, and then pinned a piece of ribbon (about 15cm?) to the front top, like below. Then I simply sewed a 5.5" square of fabric right sides together with the block, leaving about 2" gap for turning.


I clipped the corners and turned it right side it, and then top stitched around the edge, about 1/4" in. Stupidly I forgot to embroider the eyes and mouth BEFORE doing this, so you really don't want to see the back ;o)


He's a bit lop-sided but I actually really like him. We have a little pine tree in our front garden, so I even got a 'location' shot :o)


You should totally go check out the other blog hoppers (and their fab projects!)

1st November: Kristy from Quiet Play & Alyce from Blossom Heart Quilts
2nd November: Marieka from Bespoke Bites & Jane from Where Jane Creates
3rd November: Susan from Patchwork N Play & Kelsey from Kelsey Sews
4th November: Janice from Better Off Thread & Erin from Missy Mac Creations
5th November: Lucy from Charm About You & Rebecca from Making Rebecca Lynn
6th November: Charlotte from Lawson and Lotti & Amy from Amy's Crafty Shenanigans
7th November: Jess from the Elven Garden & Cindy from Live a Colorful Life
8th November: Elaine from Dashasel Sews & Kelly from Jeliquilts
9th November: Beth from Plum and June & Fiona from Finding Fifth
10th November: Juliet from Tartan Kiwi & Fiona from Celtic Thistle Stitches
11th November: Taryn from Pixels to Patchwork & Anorina from Samelia's Mum
12th November: Megan from Jaffa Quilts & Jane from QuiltJane 
13th November: Gemma from Pretty Bobbins



Then it's your turn! Download the patterns (they'll be free for the duration of the blog hop!) and make one or more of the blocks to create a finished product. Anything you like, as long as it's completely, 100% finished! Then come back here on November 30th to link up your finished product to win some awesome prizes! There's also a Flickr group for the blog hop, where you can share your blocks as you finish them. Show off your progress, and be in the running for a prize there too. That's 2 different ways to win prizes!

And what are these fabulous prizes?! Well, so far we have:

Awesome Launch Day giveaways - check back November 1st!
2 x $10 vouchers

Joy by Kate Spain - full fat quarter bundle + panel

2 x $25 vouchers

1 x $25 voucher

$30 gift voucher

Japanese Christmas fabric - fat eighth bundle

Cherry Christmas harm pack

Oh, and that amazing Joy fat quarter bundle and panel from Intrepid Thread? Kate Spain herself will be selecting the lucky winner of that as the Grand Prize!!

Plus, are you needing some Christmas fabric supplies for the hop, or just your stash in general? Well, Chrissy from Sew Lux Fabrics has set up a special discount code on Christmas fabrics in her shop! So if you need supplies, be sure to check it out. The code is "sewseasonal10" and is for 10% off all Christmas fabric (Joy, Blitzen, and Sentiments) through November 18th. A charm pack or layer cake will work perfectly for Ornamental!



Enjoy the rest of the hop! 

xx Jess













24 comments:

Charlotte said...

eeep! he is so cute!

Annabella said...

Oh he is just adorably perfect!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

very cute block

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Snowmen are my favourite and yours is awesome!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is so cute - first I had heard of this hop and put it up on my side bar.

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

I LOVE this block and your fabric choices make it extra cute!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

What a cute block...love snowmen! Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Cute snowman! One like this will at least last in the Aussie summer!

Katy Cameron said...

Cute wee guy! I'm just catching up now I'm home, I believe you on the hoop ;o) Love the quilting on the bunny star! Oh and I nominated and voted...

CitricSugar said...

So cute! I love paper-piecing…

Janice @ Better off Thread said...

great ornament! It would look really cute with one of each block on the tree!

Jenelle said...

This is so fun! The embroidery really gives him such a sweet personality. :)

Kelly said...

So cute!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Damn straight we're awesome ;) Love Mr Snowman - so cute!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Pretty sure it's stamped on our Aussie birth certificates "Guaranteed awesome". ;)

Love how your snowman turned out - the pearl bracelets definitely look like snow! Love the embroidered features. My snowman block still needs a face. Must remember to do that before I make it into something!

Brenda said...

I enjoy all the little blocks so much! I need to get a camera to show what I've done!
hulseybg@gmail.com

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

He's fab! Off to stalk the others :-)

Wendy said...

I love your snowman! What a great idea for a decoration.

Anna said...

He's so cute! I think he definitely looks Christmas-y. The pale blue and white put me in the mind of winter. Thanks for sharing!

tartankiwi said...

Aw he's so cool! love him!

SIMPLESEW said...

He is sweet

Beth said...

Adorable!

giddy99 said...

OMG, must make! I have a whole tree that is only snowman ornaments, and yet, no quilted one (duh). LOVE HIM!!!

Weaveron Textile said...


The fabric is comfortable for everyday use.
Your fabric design your better.To get more design in weaveron textile click on this link....:https://www.weaveron.com