Sunday 12 May 2013

A Mother's Day Knitting Bag

Over the last week, I've been watching the series of Quiltcon lectures on Craftsy. The one that has really resonated with me is the lecture by Jacquie Gehring of Tall Grass Prarie studio - I literally had goosebumps while watching her amazing presentation. I think the thing that resonated with me the most was being from a family of makers. My dad did Fine Arts at uni, majoring in ceramics and is now an art teacher. My mum has always done some sort of crafty stuff - she dabbled in patchwork for a short time when I was very little, and she made a lot of our clothes as kids. Most of all though she has always been a knitter. So although I don't come from a quilting background, I definitely come from a family of makers.

So when it came to thinking of a good Mother's Day present to make for her, I decided to go for Amanda's Knitting Bag designed by The Sometimes Crafter. The external fabric is the most beautiful fabric ever created (IMO) - Parenthetical linen from Anna Maria Horner's Field Study linens. The lining is a red Kona (not sure exactly which sorry!)


Knitting Bag Front

I have only made a couple of bags before, but I found this pattern really easy to understand and put together. It makes a really roomy bag with lots of useful pockets for knitting needles and other bits and pieces knitters like to have handy.


Knitting bag back

The only modification I made was to put the small zip pocket on the back rather than the front - simply for aesthetic reasons. I'm really pleased with how this pocket finished - it was way easier than I thought! Not perfect, but it turned out much better than I'd anticipated :o)


Mum goes to a Spinners and Weavers Guild meeting once a week, so how she has a very pretty bag to carry all her supplies in. Happily, she loves it!

Happy Mother's Day!

xx Jess


21 comments:

Noela said...

Love the bag and fabrics. Hugs.....

Fran said...

Gosh that's a beautiful bag! I agree with you about the fabric & this lovely bag showcases it perfectly.

Charlotte said...

it's gorgeous! I love that fabric too *sigh*

cat and vee xoxo said...

gorgeous bag Jess, I so love that AMH print too, could not get my hands on a yard quickly enough. I love the other colourways in it too, but this is my absolute favourite. I bet your Mum loved the bag - for all her knitting goodies, but also the fabric! Hope you had a good day. x

Catherine said...

Fabulous bag Jess, bet she loves it

elsy said...

really great bag....thought id forgotten mothers day until i remembered you not in uk...must be going a bit ga ga

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Love that fabric! What a great bag for your mum!

Susan said...

Of course she loves it- it's beautiful!

Sarah said...

Great bag, I'm sure it will be super useful!

Katy Cameron said...

Perfect, I might need to make one of them for my mum, although I've got her birthday pressie sorted already, and I made her Christmas pressie during my loft captivity yesterday, so maybe mother's day next year!

barcord said...

Lovely roomy bag. I love the fabric. I cant have enough bags...of all kinds. We have just started to pay a 5p charge in the shops so I am learning to always have a handy folded bag with me.

Nancy@owensolivia said...

It's really nice to see this fabric in a different light. I thought for sure the background was more cream in color. Great bag!

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Great bag and love that fabric. I know you said to me before about your Dad studying ceramics and then your Mum is crafty too. It's fun to see where these traits come to us from - mine must be from my grandparents or further back still!!!

Jessica said...

LOVE it! I agree with your fabric comment, of course ;)

Annabella said...

Ooh your mum will be the envy of the spinners and weavers! Lovely bag Jess - Happy Mothers Day to you :)

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

This is really beautiful, Jess! Though I missed out on the mother's day boat, my knitting-machine MIL's birthday is late May so there just may be enough time to whip one up for her ;)

Di said...

Happy Mothr's Day to both you and your mum. That is a great bag and your mum will love it. Di x

Kirsten said...

Beautiful bag - your Mum will just love it! I adore this fabric too.

Nat at Made in Home said...

Such a useful bag! Love it! And loe that fabric,

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Clever you- that bag would be great for any crafter!

Heather D. said...

What a great bag Jess! And you're right, that has to be one of the greatest fabrics ever.