Wednesday 18 September 2013

Marcelle Medallion Progress

I think I mentioned in my last post that I spent Saturday night making flying geese? Well those geese are now pieced into strips ready to be attached to the rest of my medallion :o) I think it's the story of my life with this quilt, but I messed up the cutting for the geese as well. I decided to use the no-waste flying geese method - but made them too big. Happily, I was able to cut them down to size - which overall is probably a really good thing as they are actually square now (as opposed to the wonky ones I had before trimming.)

I deliberated long and hard yesterday (with some help from my Instagram peeps) about the third border - but I kept coming back to this Lizzy House print. It is very dark - but I kind of like how it recedes behind the rest of the borders. I'm planning on using a dark teal print for the sixth border as well, so I'm hoping it will look effective overall. A few people have commented about how much this quilt changes as each border is attached - I think that's my favorite part about making it. I'm never really sure what it will look like until the borders are finished.


I'm excited to be finally using my Newspaper Roses (a Yuwa print) for the corner stones in the geese border - this has been sitting in my stash for well over a year but hasn't had the perfect project to be used in until now. Tonight's task will be attaching these, and starting on the fifth border.


I have two sick little boys home today from school - so I'm off to snuggle on the couch with them and watch a few movies :o)

xx Jess

36 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I like the dark border! The other option you shared on IG was nice too. I like liked the darker one best as it provided the most interest. I also thought that you'd probably include darker value fabrics in some way in subsequent borders and it would all be pulled together.

Ella said...

I'm dying from the spectacularness! I still haven't begun cutting my triangles.

Lisa said...

This is on my bucket list and I will say yours is one of my favorites. Love your color combinations and I love the dark borders. GREAT JOB!

DeborahGun said...

It really is stunning. Hope your boys get better soon :-)

Newbie Jen said...

It looks wonderful so far

nicole said...

I think the Lizzy House print is perfect for that border! And every time i see your geese it makes me want to make some! Love them! I may need to add some more into my Indian Summer quilt, if only to get it out of my system!!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Really lovely work. I like it exactly as it is. :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Looking good Jess! I just cut out my triangles for border 2.

Vicki said...

Poor babies! Hope they are feeling better. Your quilt is so wonderful. The dark borders really make it sing.

Beth said...

I love the dark blue border! It is a stunning addition. Way to go!

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

My goodness woman, you are just speeding through this! Loving the contrast ;)

Pip said...

two thumbs up from me for your dark border, works really well, picks up the dark fabric in the centre star, keep going I want to see the finished quilt :)

Carla said...

I love this! Your fabrics are perfect.

Heather D. said...

It looks fantastic so far! Hope the little ones feel better soon.

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Oh wow, this is looking stunning!

Debbie said...

Love where you're going with this!

Quilting In The Cold said...

Oh it looking so good! I think you made the right choice with the dark border. I love how it brings out the dark from the star.

cat and vee xoxo said...

it's looking gorgeous Jess, your cutting of that navy Lizzy House print is perfect. I missed your ig-questioning! - I miss so much on ig sometimes! Love all the fabrics you've chosen for it, it's looking fabulous. Love all your green geese and low volume prints - and those newspaper roses! - perfect. Still haven't started mine - the second week of the school holidays is my plan!

Susan said...

NO matter what you do Jess, this will be a beauty! I love what you have done so far!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

this is looking more fabulous every time you show it!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

this is looking more fabulous every time you show it!

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Wow you've made some amazing progress on his quilt - I love the newspaper roses as the cornerstones, they work perfectly ... hope your little ones feel better soon :)

Charlotte said...

that border is perfect!!!!!!

Annabella said...

Um. Gorgeous!! Hope your little boys are better today :)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is gorgeous! I hope your little boys get better soon :)

Kelly said...

Love everything about this quilt! Hope your boys are better soon.

Anonymous said...

This quilt is just fabulous. Definitely love the darker border!! It give more definition. Special moment snuggling up especially when you sick. Hope the little ones get better soon.

Katy Cameron said...

Flocking hell, looking good! (Sorry, I couldn't resist ;o) )

Hope the sickies feel better soon, I totally sympathise...

Kirsten said...

I really love this so far - colours are beautiful together!

Kirsten said...

I really love this so far - colours are beautiful together!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I think I am going back on my choice from yesterday on IG, I really love how it is looking, the border is perfect! I hope your little guys are better soon!

Christine said...

It looks wonderful!

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

This is turning into a beauty!

Nat at Made in Home said...

It looks amazing, cannot wait to see the finished medallion!

Deborah said...

Have loved watching the creation of this quilt....beautiful!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Isn't it amazing how each border changes the look of the quilt so much! I really like the depth the darker border adds. Those flying geese are fabulous. That rose newspaper print has waited for the right project, it's perfect for those corners.