Sunday 3 November 2013

Challenging myself

Over the last month or so, I've been putting together my next project for Quilters Companion and have finally reached the quilting stage. The design of this quilt is quite simple, so I'm trying something new (to me) and creating a secondary pattern with the quilting (heavily inspired by the likes of Angela Walters). I'm the first person to admit that I love a challenge when it comes to quilting, and what I'm attempting on this quilt is really challenging my skills as a quilter :o)

I've been using my recently acquired Hera marker to mark some foundation lines onto the quilt top, free motion quilting along these first and the filling in with some of my favorite motifs. 


My straight lines aren't completely straight - but I'm trying to remind myself I'm doing this on a domestic machine, not a long arm so I can't expect it to be flawless (as much as the perfectionist in me struggles with this concept!) And honestly, on an 80" square quilt I'm pretty sure no one but me will notice the imperfections anyway.


I'm doing a bit of matchstick quilting for the first time, and I can really understand the appeal now - I don't think I could handle doing it on an entire quilt, but for the little sections I'm doing it is adding some really great texture.

I'm really pleased with this arrow quilting - I marked the centre of the strips with my Hera so that the point are all lined up. Definitely something I'll be using more - it's quick to do and looks really cool!


I won't be showing any more of this one until it's published sometime next year - but you'll understand if things a wee bit quiet around here for a few weeks ;o)

I also wanted to mention that my Full Moon Lagoon has been nominated for viewer's choice in the Blogger's Quilt Festival - I am completely in awe that it has been nominated (huge thanks to whoever nominated me!) Quite a few of my friends have quilts that have been nominated so it is going to be very hard to choose. I encourage you to go and have a look and vote for your favorite (and also vote in each of the categories, there are some truly remarkable quilts entered in all of them.)

xx Jess

22 comments:

Leanne said...

Your quilting is just wonderful. I love the arrow quilting and the hera line is a great way to mark it. Congratulations on being in the Viewer's Choice, your quilt is wonderful.

Vicki said...

I think that this is looking wonderful.

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

Its beautiful Jess.. May I know what machine are you using? Am on the hunt.. But still thinking whether it is worth it... Can already quilt with my current ones.. But as you as well, i see my quilting aren't as good as i really-really would like it to be..

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess! Your quilting is fantastic! I love all the different patterns you use! Beautiful quilt - as much we see and lovely fabrics! x Teje

Charlotte said...

O_O

wow!

Little Island Quilting said...

I may have voted ;-) hugely deserved. And your quilting is superb. Have a look at this http://www.philippanaylor.com to be blown away by what can be achieved on 'just' a domestic sewing machine.

Cille said...

Wow... You really don't shy away from a challenge :) it beautiful...

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Your Full Moon Lagoon quilt totally deserves that nomination! This quilting is really really stunning - can't wait to see this whole project!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Awesome quilting Jess! I voted for your quilt, it is stunning and deserves all the votes it can get!

Katy Cameron said...

Looking fab. I can never get my Hera marker to work, I think I'm Hera challenged lol Possibly it's the light on my machine that makes it difficult to see it, but I think it's probably me ;o)

MsMidge said...

Looks like it will be a beauty! I voted for your quilt in the festival - it's one of my all time favourites!

Julierose said...

Beautiful quilting and quilt! Hugs, Julierose

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It is looking fantastic! Love the diamond shape and the arrows! So excited to see it published and I'm off to vote now :)

Deborah said...

You are an inspiration!!!!!!

Carla said...

I can't believe you are using a domestic machine! This looks fabulous. Looking forward to that publication

Renee said...

Oh I definitely voted for yours! A little disappointed mine didn't make to voting though :-/ The quilting on your new quilt is beautiful!

CitricSugar said...

Um, your lines look pretty damn straight to me! your quilting is gorgeous.

And not surprised at all on the Nom. I'd take the credit but I didn't realize the linky was open until it had closed!

Ella said...

Happy quilting, my dear! I'll look forward to the big reveal when it's ready.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Wowza!

wobblybobbin said...

Ok, so I was blown away by your Marcelle quilting, likewise with the Full Moon Lagoon - this quilt is so awesome AGAIN! I'm inspired to try FMQ for real this time :) do you have a resource or book you recommend for newbies?

Heather D. said...

It's going to be so amazing Jess!

You got my vote for viewer's choice, by the way. :)

Lynette said...

Hey, this looks terrific!!!! I just love quilting that looks like it was done on a longarm. Way to go!