Saturday 30 November 2013

Churn Dash Border {Midnight at the Oasis}

So sorry about the delayed post again, I've been distracted by other projects over the last few weeks and haven't worked on my MATO quilt for ages.

I did make one tonight, so I could share how I'm approaching these (insanely) teeny tiny blocks. I'm pressing all my seams open in these - I find my piecing is far more accurate if I press open, and since these are so small I think every little bit of accuracy will count over the whole border.


For the HSTs, I'm starting with 2" squares, marking the diagonal and sewing 1/4" away from both sides. Once pressed (open) I'm trimming down to 1.5".


For the little rectangles on the sides, top and bottom, I'm strip piecing and then cutting my rectangles to size.


I'm hoping to make lots of these over the next couple of weeks and try to catch up a bit - I haven't really done much more applique than I had in my last QAL post, I really think that will become a summer project :o)

I hope you're all having fun making this quilt. I am absolutely loving seeing how different each version is!

xx Jess

11 comments:

Renee said...

Those are so cute! Can't wait to see them on the rest of your quilt.

Carla said...

Teeny tiny blocks. Love it! Your doll quilt is gorgeous too by the way

Leanne said...

I love the tiny blocks, they do require a bit more attention though.

imquilternity said...

I'm at the same stage as you. Still working on the applique border, but doing a teeny-tiny churn dash every now and then. It's pretty obvious I'm not going to be able to keep to our planned schedule, but that's ok. I'm still enjoying the process. Can't wait to watch yours as it progresses.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh lordy, I haven't even cut my bias stalks yet!!

Katy Cameron said...

Very dashing... :oD

Carli The Quilter said...

Great Tutorial!

Charlotte said...

bloody hell, those are tiny!

Di said...

They are tiny. Di x

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Your churn dash looks great! I am taking the same approach, but am yet to start. I'm actually hoping to get my HSTs pieced in the next couple of weeks so I can take them away and trim them all over Xmas - I'm going to have a week away sans sewing machine but I will still need something to keep me occupied!

Annabella said...

Small but perfectly formed :)