I have been uncharacteristically quiet on the blog lately - mostly because I've been working on a 80" square quilt for a magazine, so haven't been able to share my progress (although I have been sharing a fair few peeks over on Instagram). It's completely finished as of last night though, so I'll be back here waffling about my quilty projects again until the next one ;o)
A couple of months ago, I signed up for the Down Under Doll Quilt Swap - a mini quilt swap for those of us based in Australia and New Zealand. I have been working on this in little spurts over the last month or so, but the last day to send is the first of December, so I pulled my finger out and finished it up today.
This is an idea I've wanted to try for a while, so it was a lot of fun to put together. I was a bit concerned about how well my points would match up as I didn't starch my fabric before cutting all the triangles, but I'm pleasantly surprised. A couple are a wee bit off, but mostly it came out really well.
After working for so long on a large quilt, it has been a really nice change to work on something small (my arms are especially grateful!) This little quilt is about 18" square.
I kept the quilting fairly simple, since there are so many seams in the quilt top (each of those strips in the triangles are 1" finished). Even so, I really like the texture the minimal FMQ has added. It has helped highlight the subtle pattern created by the light grey partial hexagons - although I did mess up some of the piecing at the bottom. Hopefully it's not too noticable!
I'll be posting this one tomorrow, so hopefully my partner likes it. I have actually started another version of this on a larger scale and will be taking photos and write up a tutorial for how I put it together, so stay tuned for that in the next few weeks :o)