Saturday 16 November 2013

Flower Applique Border (Midnight at the Oasis QAL)

 Apologies that this post is a bit late - I've been really sick the last few days. This week I'll be talking about the second border - the flower applique border. I am way behind in this QAL at the moment - needle turn applique is a really slow process, but I am completely addicted. I'm enjoying the applique part of this quilt way more than I thought I would. This is my progress so far.


There are a few elements involved in the second border (technically the fourth I guess, but I haven't been counting the skinny borders). 

1. Bias Tape
The pattern recommends using a 3/8" bias tape maker, but since I don't have one I thought I'd share how I'm making my bias tape. First of all, make a 45 degree cut across your fabric. I've found a 5" wide strip makes the right length strips (or slightly long strips) to applique on to the background. I've used a couple of charm squares for some of my strips, and will use the left over triangles to make some of the leaf shapes to applique. 



Then cut 3/4" strips of fabric.

The next step involves folding both sides into the centre of the strip to make single fold bias tape. To make this easier, you can run a Hera marker along the wrong side of the fabric to make a crease. I have found by placing my ruler at about 3/8" from the edge, the creases are in the right position.


Once you have creased the fabric, press both sides into the centre of the strip. If you don't have a Hera marker, you can fold the strip in half and press, and then fold each edge in to meet the centre crease. Either way, you will end up with strips like this:


Next you'll want to pin your bias tape onto the background for your flower applique border. I have slightly overlapped the ends of the bias strips, but you could just butt them up against each other.

To sew these down, I worked along one entire edge, using the same stitch technique as in needle turn applique, and then worked my way back up the other edge. The it's just a matter of choosing fabrics to make the flowers, covering the joins in the bias strips in the process of stitching them on.


I haven't made my baskets yet - but looking at the pattern instructions I don't have much to add. The only change I'm making there is to make my half-square triangles using my normal method (with two squares right sides together, marking the diagonal and stitching 1/4" away from the diagonal on both sides). The HSTs in the baskets will be 1" finished.

We would love it if you would like to link up your progress so far!

17 comments:

DeborahGun said...

get better soon Jess. Your quilt is looking amazing :-)

dutchcomfort said...

Beautiful border. Hope you will feel better soon! Your quilt looks wonderful!
Just started working on mine!

Charlotte said...

it's already so beautiful! I love it!

Susan said...

I hope you are feeling much better soon! Your Midnight quilt is coming along a treat!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Your quilt is looking amazing! Feel better soon!

Sarah said...

Oh :-( Hope you feel better soon Jess. The quilt meanwhile is getting more and more awesome!

Kelly said...

Oh so pretty!!

Di said...

I hope that you feel better soon that is another amazing quilt that you are making. Di x

Mystic Quilter said...

your MATO is looking delightful and good on you for the needle turn appliqué! I couldn't attempt that with issues mentioned before.
I too am late with my post (later today) but hope you feel better pretty quickly.

Sharon said...

This looks so great! Thanks for the tut on bias tape

Susie said...

Great idea. Enjoying your progress. I would have loved to have joined in as I really want to do this quilt. It's the first on my list of Jen's quilts. Looking forward to seeing more of yours.

Carli The Quilter said...

Jess this looks so fine and I do admit I would normally do hand applique, but not this time. Way busy with many other seasonal things! But I'm just about done this flower border and really happy so far!

Carla said...

So so gorgeous!

Cille said...

Hoping you feel better... The quilt looks amazing so far.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I need to get a move on and catch up; thanks for the tips xxx

Carli The Quilter said...

Flower Border is complete! I'm linking up if my satellite internet would ever get faster!

agastya said...

Best real estate slogans