Saturday 22 February 2014

Beach Ball Baby Quilt {Finished}

You might remember my Beach Ball Baby Quilt I put together a few months ago? Well, I finally finished it up last week and I'm really pleased with the result. 

I used two layers of bamboo batting on this quilt, just to give the quilting a bit more definition. It's a baby quilt too, so I figure it will be a great floor quilt with the extra padding. Because it's quite small (45" x 50") it wasn't too difficult to maneuver with the extra layer of batting, but I definitely wouldn't be keen to try it on anything bigger. I quilted it quite simply, with FMQed straight lines in the grey sections, and ditch stitching through the coloured hexagons. I quilted the white areas with pebbles, just for a texture difference and because they are so puffy :o) 




Even more exciting, you can find the tutorial over at Moda Bake Shop today (thanks to Katy for letting me know it was up!!) :o)

22 comments:

DeborahGun said...

How exciting Jess - congratulations :-) It is a gorgeous quilt. Great boy colours!

Amy Friend said...

That's a fantastic design!

Katy Cameron said...

Congrats, I might even use my one and only jelly roll to try it!

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

This looks great! The pattern really gives a nice 3- dimensional look to it.

Ella said...

Congrats! It's a lovely pattern! (plus, I'm always on the hunt for a new baby quilt pattern...folks just keep having them!)

Leanne said...

Its a lovely quilt, I have been playing with those fabrics lately and the colours work so nicely for your quilt. Congrats on being in the bake shop.

Beth said...

That's a great quilt!

amy said...

Adorable! Congrats on making it into moda bake shop!!

Mara said...

This is really beautiful, love the colors.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Oh that is beautiful!! Definitely adding that pattern to my list. Congratulations!

Jessica said...

Cute!! I saw a picture of this somewhere today (FB?) and didn't know it was yours! Congrats!!

Lynette said...

Whoa! That quilt is so fun. :D

Carla said...

I really like the way you have set this design. Some full hexagons and some partial. Lovely

Erica said...

Lovely quilt! I am glad you mentioned about doubling up the batting - I have been thinking about doing that for a baby quilt I am working on but I have never tried it before.

Charlotte said...

it's gorgeous! Congratulations on the feature :-D

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Lovely - well done - spotted you over at The 'Shop' xxx

Michelle@factotum-of-arts.com said...

Love it and the colors are so fantastic!!

Heather D. said...

Really cute Jess! I love the feel of a double batting but like you couldn't imagine doing it on a large project, which is kind of a shame! If there's one thing that sort of annoys me about batting, it's that it's so thin!

Newbie Jen said...

This looks FAB, Jess! I saw it on Pinterest before I got caught up reading your blog today. Wonderful!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Jess, that's wonderful

tealeafquilts said...

I printed off your pattern from Moda but I only have fat quarters to work with. I think this will work. Any suggestions? You can reach me at decoratorcarol@gmail.com.

DbrhH. said...

I am making a version of this now. Very colourful it will be given to charity when finished.