Tuesday 11 March 2014

Radiant Orchid Quilt Challenge {Finished}

I've been working on this quilt over the last week or two for the 2014 Pantone Quilt challenge hosted by Adrianne and Anne. The colour for this year is Radiant Orchid - and like my literal interpretation of Emerald last year, I've made a literally radiant quilt.

This quilt started out as a pile of purple fabrics of varying values, with no definite plan. I sorted them by value, cut strips of various widths (mostly about 2 or 3") and sewed them together before cutting wedge shapes. I originally intended to have a full circle of wedges, but decided to go for this layout at the last minute. I'm glad I did, as I think it makes for a more interesting design with the wedges radiating from the corner.

This is essentially my first whole cloth quilt - the wedges are appliqued onto the Kona charcoal background, and I've had a lot of fun using free motion quilting to create the rest of the design, using Aurifil threads (2530 and 1158). I normally use thread that blends into the background as much as possible, but for this quilt I thought it would be fun to use a contrasting thread and extend the wedges out with quilting. It was so much trickier quilting like this, knowing every little thing would stand out. I decided to go with minimal straight lines between the wedges, as I wanted to add some movement through those sections, but didn't want to detract from the wedge shapes and pink quilting by making it too complex.


The medallion/star design caused a fair amount of stress - I think I spent more time figuring out what to do than I spent actually quilting it. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but I'm not certain it was the right decision. Originally I'd intended to do a giant spiral, but once I started I realised how difficult it was going to be to quilt such a large circle without it looking terrible (have I ever mentioned how much of a perfectionist I am?!?) So this was a compromise of sorts - I like it, but I do wonder if it 'fits' with the rest of the quilt. I did mark several of the circles, and the straight lines running through the centre, but apart from that it is all free hand quilting. I really do love how the different densities in the quilting have given the star a three dimensional aspect.


Quilt Details:
Fabric: Kona Charcoal background, with various radiant orchid fabrics.
Size: about 40" square
Batting: Double layer of bamboo batting
Quilting: By me on my domestic Bernina, using Aurifil 50wt 1158 and 2530.

I will be linking up with Adrianne and Anne on Friday when the linky part opens (and also with Crazy Mom Quilts and Free Motion Friday). I'm really looking foward to checking out the other Radiant Orchid entries - are you joining in?

xx Jess


42 comments:

Jessica said...

Your quilting is absolutely brilliant. Great job friend! It's a gem <3

carla said...

Hi!!! It is beautiful and beautiful quilting too!!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the colour, love the pattern and love your quilting!

Ella said...

I love how your quilting stands out here! Lovely quilt!

Anonymous said...

It looks very nice! I like the gradient of colour in the rays.

Debbie said...

oh I think the quilting totally fits! I like it alot!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

This is stunning!

DebraKay Neiman said...

Jess, your quilt is so beautiful I can't stop looking at it. In fact, you have just saved my life. Your work is a Muse to me and now I have a plan started for a Dr Who/Tardis quilt I want to make for my two new step-granddaughters. I have the fabric, but wanted something different. Part of the fabric is a panel of the solar system. It will totally be different, but you will certainly see how you inspired me. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

Kirsten said...

Just amazing Jess! Love how your beautiful quilting shows up on the dark gray.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Wow!

Little Island Quilting said...

Wow

DeborahGun said...

its amazing Jess :-) Love the design and the quilting is fantastic.

Charlotte said...

your free-motion skills just keep getting better and better - this is AMAZING! Love it :-D

mc said...

This is fabulous!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

It looks great Jess! I really do love that star!

Leanne said...

This is fantastic! Your quilting sure makes this quilt and it looks very perfect to me.

Heather D. said...

Very beautiful! I love the orchid against the dark background fabric.

Renee said...

I love what you did with your quilt! And the quilting looks great, I love the center detail. I can't wait to post mine later this week!

moira said...

I'm going to have to start making up superlatives. That is total pengwengs (copyright Lucy charm about you)

Carli The Quilter said...

This is really stunning Jess!

Tiffany said...

I LOVE it! After looking at it for a minute, the quilting in the medallion and the way one of your wedges is extended out a bit - it reminds me of a space ship going into warp speed. Probably not what you intended, but awesome all the same. :)

Katy Cameron said...

Once more I bow to your quilty genius!

Anne said...

I love the way this came out! The quilting definitely adds a lot to it, and the applique is beautiful. :) Gorgeous finish!

Carla said...

Fabulous! Your quilting is amazing

Patti said...

Jess, I just love how your quilt is, literally, a Radiant Orchid! Your quilting is absolutely wonderful!

Kelly said...

Just stunning!!!

vexa said...

Looks great! Fab quilting!

Lorna McMahon said...

Incredible quilting, Jess! Love the design. Well played!

Molli Sparkles said...

Your quilting is really inspiring... I must branch out. Thanks for leading me to the light.

AnnMarie said...

Your quilt is great, especially the quilting.

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

The quilting looks amazing, what a fantastic quilt.

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Oh Jess - look at you knocking it out of the park again with your stunning quilting! Love this, and how you've added to the beautifully simple quilt top with the quilting. Great job!

CityHouseStudio said...

Your quilting is just stunning! I could look at it for a long time, noticing so many details. It is indeed Radiant!

Sarah @ Berry Barn Designs said...

This is gorgeous! I, too, love how the star has a 3D quality from the quilting. That really jumped out first thing seeing your work - great job!

Michele said...

Oh my. It is really fabulous.

Jennie said...

This is fantastic - so brave to use a contrast thread for quilting but it works so well!

Anita said...

This quilt is amazing and the medallion was the right choice. Absolutely. I love the thread you used and how it constrasts with the background fabric.

MalinisQuilts said...

Simple yet Stunning design. I love your free motion quilting!

suemac said...

Love the quilting.

Newbie Jen said...

Jess, as usual, your quilt is gorgeous! The quilting is just amazing, and I love what you did with it.

Sarah said...

Love it! You're so arty! Great fmq too.

Unknown said...

It looks awesome. I believe you can never go wrong with stars..