Friday 14 March 2014

Roundabout Quilt {Finished}

I am finally able to let the cat out of the bag for one of the secret projects I was working on in the middle of last year - my Roundabout quilt pattern appears in the latest Quilters Companion magazine, available now :o)



This quilt is 60" square, entirely paper pieced and caused me to question my sanity numerous times during it's construction. It is made using the gorgeous Schoenrock Cross block, which I fell in love with after making my cushion for the the tenth round of the pillow talk swap last year. And (hold onto your chairs) I simply quilted in the ditch for this one, no FMQ in sight! Having said that, I did free motion quilt in the ditch and there are a loooot of seams because of all the teeny piecing ;o)


I used a heap of favorite fabrics in this quilt - lots of Denyse Schmidt (mainly Chicopee and Shelburne Falls), Architextures and a few other coordinating prints from other collections. It is by far the most traditional and complex quilt I have made, and was gifted to my Mum last month for her 60th birthday. Happily, she loves it as much as I do.

I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts since it is kind of a Friday finish, and with Kristy's paper piecing party ;o)

xx Jess





32 comments:

ipatchandquilt said...

Amazing quilt! I am in AWE!!!
One of these days I will do a quilt like this. I have been collecting red and blue fabrics. I love the idea of paper piecing, but might go insane while doing it, just like you LOL! I have done a lot of pp lately, and I need a little break from it.... Let's see how long I will last staying away from " the paper" ! :-)
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Anonymous said...

Wow it just stunning, utterly gorgeous!! I love the colors, the pattern, everything!!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Oh
My
Gosh!

It's gorgeous Jess!!!! Happy belated birthday to a lucky mum!!!!

DeborahGun said...

wow - you are amazing. I don't know how you had the patience to do all that paper piecing. It is gorgeous :-)

Charlotte said...

it's SO lovely! Glad to see it finished :-D

Jacqui S. said...

what a lot of work, and a truly lovely result! wow, the talk of the town.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Congrats Jess! It is beautiful! I was trying to see how it was quilted lol I was squinting at the pictures trying to see your fancy work!

Georgi said...

Wowza! It's absolutely beautiful ~ and I'm amazed that you paper-pieced the whole thing. Gorgeous!

Anna said...

It's just beautiful! Definitely seems like a lot of paper piecing haha but it's so pretty it's worth it! Congrats on having it published, too!

Rachel said...

Wow this is absolutely wonderful.

Oops-Lah said...

that's an amazing quilt and I'm not surprised it cost you some nerves ;)! I'm also not surprised that you mum loves it too. Happy Birthday!

Jehnny said...

Really what a gorgeous quilt! I love the block you used! I can't believe you quilted in the ditch- that is a lot of seams!

Katy Cameron said...

Yay, congrats :o)

Dianne Neale said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so in awe!

Ella said...

Wow! That's a stunner! So happy I get to be fan; your work continues to make me smile (and aspire to be a quilter of your ilk when I "grow up")!

Patti said...

I have yet to use it, but it' s one of my all time favourite blocks! I just love the colour play in your blocks, Jess! Absolutely gorgeous. Congrats!

Jan Baker said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I was amazed when I saw the photos.

Farm Quilter said...

Fabulous!!! You did an awesome job with this quilt all the way around!!!

Patch the Giraffe said...

That is such a cool quilt! Looks like it took forever. Congrats on that beauty.

Patch the Giraffe said...

That is such a cool quilt! Looks like it took forever. Congrats on that beauty.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Oh Jess, it's just stunning! I love the colours you chose, and the placement, and ohhhh!

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

Jess, this quilt is such a stunner!! I LOVE the color palette you chose. Beautiful finish :-)
Amanda

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Thanks Esther! It took me 6 months to paper piece again after this, lol.

Cille said...

Its stunning... it really is. It is tradtional but yet have a very contemporary feeling to it. Great quilt.

Wendy said...

that is fabulous! it is so intricate, no wonder you questioned your sanity, but well done for persevering, all worth it in the end!

moira said...

it's gorgeous (obvs.!)

Monika said...

So beautiful, you did an amazing job!

Newbie Jen said...

It is lovely. Well done!

Leanne said...

This is stunning, what a great birthday present for your mom. And how wonderful to have it in the magazine too.

Nat at Made in Home said...

This is so so beautiful!!

Jessica said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I loved this block when you first posted your cushion, it's on the list (just maybe not this many).

Lori said...

It was worth it because that is one beautiful quilt.