Wednesday 25 June 2014

Breaking Storm (Finished and Featured)

A new issue of Quilters Companion magazine comes out on Thursday this week, the latest modern quilts special issue. My quilt, Breaking Storm, is one of six quilts in the magazine, along with designs from Faith Jones, Tracey Petersen, Liz Pinczewski, Michelle Marvig and Jane Davidson.

I am so excited to be able to finally show you this quilt - I finished it in June last year, so it has been a long year keeping it quiet. We went to a park a few weekends ago, and I took Breaking Storm for a wee photo shoot.


This quilt is made using the traditional Snail Trail block. As the name suggests, Breaking Storm is supposed to be reminiscent of a dark, stormy sky at the end of a storm, when the sun and blue sky is just peeking through the roiling clouds.


This is one of the biggest quilts I've made - it finishes at 72" x 96". It's quilted with a range of Aurifil threads - variegated grey Aurifil 40wt thread across the grey 'background', and blue and orange 50wt thread in the coloured sections. I'm really pleased with the texture I achieved on this quilt - I quilted air-currents and pebbles and square spirals in the grey areas, and straight lines in the coloured sections. I think the quilting complements the design quite well.


I haven't seen the magazine yet, but there is a profile on me in there (which I'm super excited about, but I'm also a bit nervous to see what they've written!) I will be stalking the newsagent on Thursday for sure!!




I'm off to have a coffee or seven - Quiltcon registration opened at 1am this morning here in Australia, so I'm trying to cope on about 4 hours sleep. It was totally worth waiting up though, I managed to get all the classes I wanted (and I'm thrilled that I'll get to meet all three of my biggest quilty inspirations - Angela Walters, Lisa Sipes and Krista Withers! Pinch me!) :o) I guess it's completely official that I'm going now (and I am ridiculously excited about it!! Will I get to meet you there?!?

xx Jess



26 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh my, this quilt is outstanding! Love your color choices, and the name is perfect for this beauty.

Adrienne said...

fabulous colors!

Hayley said...

What a beautiful quilt. Congratulations

Ella said...

The quilt is gorgeous, and I so wish I could meet you in person at QuiltCon! (I'll have to live vicariously through your IG feed.)

Renee said...

Lovely quilt! Those colors look so pretty together and the quilting adds nice texture.

Newbie Jen said...

Gorgeous quilt, Jess!

I am jealous that you got all your choices for QuiltCon; that registration process was intense. I hope we can meet up!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Beautiful quilt. Congrats on the publication and also on getting into classes at QuitlCon. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones. Hope we can meet while there.

Afton Warrick said...

I'm going too! I should be very grateful that it was 9 am here for sign-ups.

Nicky said...

Sadly not unless you change planes at London Gatwick!

The quilt is gorgeous Jess and the quilting superb! Hope you enjoy meeting your quilting heroes - you are one of mine!

How big is your snail trail block BTW?

Charlotte said...

so SO gorgeous!

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

This is such a lovely quilt and suits it's name perfectly :) Congratulations! I'm not off to Quiltcon, but I'm looking forward to hearing all about your travels!

Susie said...

Such a fabulous looking quilt. Well done.

Gina said...

I love this quilt and the colours are so stormy. Great name and great inspiration. Congratulations on the profile in the magazine xx

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I wish I could go to quiltcon, I will enjoy it from afar as I am sure there will be pics all over IG!

Hannlib said...

Love this Jess!! Really striking, great work.

Katy Cameron said...

Absolutely fabulous dahling! And have a blast at Quilt Con :o)

Die Fischerin said...

I love this beautiful quilt ... Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I love it, love it, love it. The colours are perfect and I love this design.

Farm Quilter said...

Love your quilt!!! Perfect name for it...now I have another quilt I want to make on my list!!! The quilting perfectly complements the quilt. Congratulations on being in the magazine and getting the classes you wanted at QuiltCon! Have a blast!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's a gorgeous quilt!!

Tiffany said...

THis is gorgeous. I love snail trail quilts, especially when they have more of a modern feel to them. The colors in this one are perfect.

Saydea said...

I so love the colors, my son want orange in a quilt had no idea it could be such a beautiful color mixed with others thank you for sharing it.

I'm in love.

Susanne

Heather @ Winding Bobbins said...

It's gorgeous Jess! Good for you, keeping it quiet for so long ;) Your quilting is fab and I love seeing some of the black Chicopee fabric in there!

Michele said...

It really is fabulous. Congratulations. And unfortunately I'm probably not going to make it to Quiltcon this year.

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

I'm a little late in this, but wanted to tell you how much I love this quilt!! So gorgeous and congrats on the publication :)
Amanda

moira said...

brilliant colour choices #lovingyourwork