Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Fussy Cut Sampler - Block 30

Late last year, my friend Elisabeth contacted me to ask if I'd like to participate in a blog hop for her yet-to-be-released book, The Fussy Cut Sampler, cowritten with her friend Nichole. I love a good bit of fussy cutting, so I knew it was something I'd love to participate in - and I'm so glad I did. This book is absolutely brilliant! It goes way beyond just fussy cutting a square as a focal point in a quilt block - Elisabeth and Nichole talk in detail about how to use all sorts of different prints in quilt block. 



The Fussy Cut Sampler has been cleverly written, so that each chapter deals with a different type of fabric (ie stripes, prints with directionality, tossed prints etc) and how to best features these prints in the blocks, so that even simple blocks look amazing and different. Each chapter includes 4 different quilt blocks, with a total of 48 block tutorials in the book. There is a wealth of knowledge shared in here by Elisabeth and Nichole


The block I'm sharing with you today is from Chapter 8 - Prints with Directionality. Directional prints can be quite difficult to use in quilt blocks, as they can be trickier to cut and make any piecing errors quite obvious. This chapter appealed to the obsessive aspects of my personality - precise cutting and piecing are two things I really, really enjoy doing, and they are critical when dealing with directional prints. Elisabeth and Nichole share loads of tips for dealing with directional prints, as either a focal or secondary (and even background) fabric. 



It took me a while to decide on what fabrics to use for this block - and it actually ended up being a group I'd put together for one of my yet-to-be-made Ice Cream Soda blocks (another great quilt for  fussy cutting directional prints). I decided to use a couple of Tula Pink prints, which are always fun to fussy cut, along with one of my favorite prints from Jenean Morrison. All three prints I chose are directional - and I've used them as both a focal print (the Tula tiger in the centre), and also as secondary fabrics (for the two groups of triangles surrounding the centre square). 

I was very careful when I cut my squares for the the half square triangle units, and again when sewing them with the background fabric, so that the print runs across the block. It took a bit of thought when trimming them to size too - I had to make sure the ochre part of the print was trimmed at about the same point for each HST. I think it was worth fussy cutting to this level - although if I made this block again, I would choose to have more of the ochre part of the print visible in the block. 

There is a great quilt along happening for The Fussy Cut Sampler at the moment, with some fabulous prizes to be won along the way. If you check out #thefussycutsampler and #thefussycutsamplerqal on Instagram, there is loads of inspiration to be found! 

I hope you're all having a great week! I'll be back soon (I hope!) with the beginnings of a few new projects :o). 


xx Jess  


7 comments:

ES said...

The qal on instagram is amazing. I've been over to look a few times. Another blog I follow has been sewing along. It's really gotta be a great book!

Suze said...

I love this block. I think most quilters find directional fabrics challenging in quilts. Actually, I think many just don't give a flip and left the fabric fall where it may. Many seem to have the attitude that a quilt finished is better than a quilt with fabrics in the proper direction. I'm more of a perfectionist and it drives me crazy. Great job on the block and the book has got to be a great book. Thanks for the introduction.

KaHolly said...

Such a pretty block! Looks like a great book and a fun QAL.

Willie B. Garcia said...

Hi everyone!!!HOW I GOT MY WIFE BACK/MY BABY WITH THE HELP OF Dr. AHMED
I have being married to my wife for the past 3yeras and 9months we have obviously being living fine for those past few years. but the problem i was having was that i havent being able to impregnate her because i thought i had a low sperm count,i had being visiting many hospital done various of test and samples but to no avail because all they could tell me was that am perfectly fine but i know that i am not fine my wife has being becoming impatient because i havent being able to impregnate her after so many years. Things got worst each day, every seconds of my life i always think of what next to do because am being fed of me being incapable. i have come accross so many health attendant who normally tell me that i have no problem. but i know that am sincerly not ok. One faithful evening when i came online in search of some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, cure cancer, and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Cora, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, he is the answer to all your problem. that is how they got help from Dr Ahmed, their wife back, how they got their husband back, how they got their low sperm on high rate with the help of Dr Ahmed i had to quickly get his email/phone number on line and contact him as soon as i could because i needed help urgently we had some talk and what i will do to get my self ok. he told me that all i had do is to get some items for purifcation and cleansing, i did all of those and thanks to Dr Ahmed am perfectly fine and my wife has given birth to Twins of the same sex all thanks to Dr Ahmed for his wounderful help... Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call/Whats-app: +2348160153829.....
Willie B. Garcia from UK

sportsnews said...

Mayweather Mcgregor
Mayweather vs Mcgregor
Mayweather Mcgregor Live
Mayweather vs Mcgregor Live
Mayweather vs Mcgregor Live Stream
Mayweather Mcgregor live
Mayweather Mcgregor Live Stream
Mayweather Mcgregor Fight
Mayweather vs Mcgregor Fight
Mayweather Mcgregor boxing Fight
Mayweather vs Mcgregor boxing Fight
Mayweather Mcgregor live Online
Mayweather Mcgregor Fight PPV
Mayweather Mcgregor Live TV
Mayweather vs Mcgregor Live Online
Watch Mayweather Mcgregor
watch Mayweather vs Mcgregor
Watch Mayweather Mcgregor Live
Watch Mayweather vs Mcgregor Live

Willie B. Garcia said...

Hi everyone!!!HOW I GOT MY WIFE BACK/MY BABY WITH THE HELP OF Dr. AHMED
I have being married to my wife for the past 3yeras and 9months we have obviously being living fine for those past few years. but the problem i was having was that i havent being able to impregnate her because i thought i had a low sperm count,i had being visiting many hospital done various of test and samples but to no avail because all they could tell me was that am perfectly fine but i know that i am not fine my wife has being becoming impatient because i havent being able to impregnate her after so many years. Things got worst each day, every seconds of my life i always think of what next to do because am being fed of me being incapable. i have come accross so many health attendant who normally tell me that i have no problem. but i know that am sincerly not ok. One faithful evening when i came online in search of some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, cure cancer, and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Cora, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, he is the answer to all your problem. that is how they got help from Dr Ahmed, their wife back, how they got their husband back, how they got their low sperm on high rate with the help of Dr Ahmed i had to quickly get his email/phone number on line and contact him as soon as i could because i needed help urgently we had some talk and what i will do to get my self ok. he told me that all i had do is to get some items for purifcation and cleansing, i did all of those and thanks to Dr Ahmed am perfectly fine and my wife has given birth to Twins of the same sex all thanks to Dr Ahmed for his wounderful help... Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call/Whats-app: +2348160153829.
Willie B. Garcia from UK

scott McRobie said...

www.dtdcaustralia.com.au
express post tracking
courier
couriers
international tracking
interstate couriers
same day delivery
cheapest courier
courier australia
courier services
courier service
couriers melbourne
dtdc
same day courier
delivery service
delivery services
courier sydney
dtdc australia
unaccompanied baggage
cheap courier
couriers perth
freight calculator australia
courier companies
courier quote
couriers sydney
international courier
courier perth